Reinterpretation of Japanese aesthetics.
Upon encountering Japan, Michail was inspired by its culture, natural world and traditional aesthetics of the country. Taking Japanese ideas of layered planes seen in traditional architecture or in origami, and combining these with the Western ideas focused on the three-dimensional, he created his art shawls, which let the wearer do a kind of planar structure.
Michail’s shawls also speak to the ancient Greek concepts of (draped) clothing which took the form of square fabric worn wrapped around the body.Born in Greece, educated in London, residing in Tokyo, these shawls are a unique product that could only have come from Michail.
Taking on the mission of “carrying on the legacy of traditional Japanese materials and the techniques of Japanese masters,” Michail continue to create new perspectives for the world.
YUKO GKINIS AOYAMA
Michail Gkinis Aoyama: Tokyo's Fusion of Heritage and Innovation.
Rooted in the vibrant heart of Tokyo, the Michail Gkinis Aoyama brand embodies the unique fusion of its creators' backgrounds. Michail, born in Greece and educated in the art of fashion design in London, joined forces with Yuko, a native of Japan with a deep connection to her homeland. Together, they breathe new life into Japan's timeless craftsmanship, blending ancient traditions with cutting-edge technology, to deliver a fresh perspective and a unique sense of style.
Japanese craftsmanship and technology
The essence of Michail Gkinis Aoyama. A fusion of Japanese craftsmanship and European flair. By combining high technology and craftsmanship, we aim to pass on technology to the next generation and create a new value.
Artist/Designer MICHAIL GKINISBiography
- Born in Greece in 1973.
- Graduated from London Luton University (majoring in Marketing).
- Interned in Tokyo while studying at London College of Fashion.
- Graduated from London College of Fashion (Fashion Design & Technology).
- Moved to Tokyo fascinated by Japanese fabrics.
- Participated in the Yonezawa Regional Resources∞ Nationwide Project as a designer.
- Tokyo Collection Started our own brand participated in Tokyo Collection.
- NY Collection JFW/DESIGNER PREVIEW IN NEW YORK.
- 1st PRIZE at TOKYO New Fashion Designer Awards Professional Category Grand Prix.
- Collection presented in Paris, India, and Greece.
- 2013 ～2016
- Appointed as creative director of the Chinese brand RAPA.
- Wacoal “In-Carat” brand releases collaboration with clothing range designed by Michail Gkinis.
- Costume design for the famous Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro's Android Erica.
- Pop-up at Isetan Shinjuku Main Store 1F, Hankyu Umeda Main Store.
- Participated as an artist in the art section of the Kyoto International Film Festival. Exhibition of collaboration work with Kyoto lantern “Kobishiya Chubei” [Chochin wears a stole]
- Costume design for 100 dancers at Niigata So Odori annual festival.
- Michail Gkinis documentary film released at Kyoto International Film Festival.
- Opening the first flagship store in Todoroki Tokyo.
- Merit Award at the design for Asia DFFA award Hong Kong. COAT STOLE WEARABLE ART.
- Participation at the MIDTOWN OPEN THE PARK 2023 as an artist. Hope for the future at the Koinobori GALLERY.
YUKO GKINIS AOYAMABiography
- Worked in the planning and development department of a certain construction company.
- Studied art in England
- After returning to Japan in 2000, she worked for a foreign company.
- Worked as a web designer in the internet division of a certain beer company
- Established Michail Co., Ltd.